Follower

Donnerstag, 14. März 2019

Why Are Writers Drawn to Boxing? / Josh Rosenblatt. In: Lit Hub March 14, 2019

In 1923 Paul Gallico, a young New York Daily News reporter, approached heavyweight boxing champion Jack Dempsey with an idea for a story. New to the sports beat, Gallico worried that he couldn’t write about boxing “graphically or understandingly” without having experienced it firsthand, so he asked Dempsey if they could spar. His only request was that the champion not aim for the body. “I explained that I expected to survive and said my only serious doubt was my ability to take it in the region of the stomach,” Gallico wrote. “I asked the great man if he might confine his attentions to a less unhappy target.” Dempsey obliged the journalist and knocked him out with “a good punch to the nose” in just over a minute. Gallico wrote that the knockout was like an “awful explosion within the confines of my skull, followed by a bright light, a tearing sensation and then darkness.”
Ten years ago I was a young-ish reporter myself and in the midst of an early midlife crisis. I had spent the first part of my adulthood as a devoted pacifist and decadent, my head either in a book or a bottle of whiskey, but by 33 the old answers—drinking, smoking, lazing about, responding to all hostility with irony—weren’t satisfying me anymore. I was bored to tears. Convinced that the cure to my paralysis would only be found in throwing myself into a new life, I decided to run in the exact opposite direction from where I’d been moving for a decade. I had never been in a fight, had always been repulsed by the idea, and had always seen combat sports as proof of humankind’s refusal to grow up and be civilized. But I also saw, however faintly, that there were extraordinary sensations to be found in fighting, that to fight would be to feel life deeply. So I decided to start my experiment in transformation there. After 33 passive years, I suddenly needed to know what I would do if someone hit me in the face. 
Paul Gallico is part of a great lineage of writers who tried their hand at fighting. Albert Camus was an amateur boxer. Norman Mailer sparred with light heavyweight champion José Torres. Ernest Hemingway tormented Ezra Pound by forcing the poet to put on gloves and try to hit the much larger novelist in his Paris apartment. And George Plimpton, who turned Gallico’s hand’s-on approach to sports journalism into a career, also boxed a former champion for a story, in his case light-heavyweight Archie Moore, who bloodied the writer’s nose.
At the root of the sympathetic connection between writing and fighting lies solitude. ... [mehr] https://lithub.com/why-are-writers-drawn-to-boxing/ 

Keine Kommentare: