Follower

Dienstag, 16. Januar 2018

Maintaining a reading plan: How a librarian tries to be up to date

When my dear friend and colleague Isaac (Ike) Pulver, the director of the Saratoga Springs (N.Y.) Public Library, served on ALA’s Notable Books Committee, he found he needed to take “reading vacations” to stay up to date with his demanding reading schedule. Members of the Notables committee are required to read all the books nominated by other committee members, and keeping up requires nearly superhuman reading habits. So, at least once a year, Ike took vacation time from work, gathered up his books, and set about reading his way through some of the best writing of the year.

Ike tells me he doesn’t take reading vacations now that the pressure of Notables is off. Like many readers, he no longer feels the need to plan out his pleasure reading, and instead goes for the serendipity of discovery and surprise. But me, I am a planner. And the idea of a reading vacation sounded like my ultimate getaway. So, 10 years ago, I began my taking my own annual year-end book retreats. ... [mehr] https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/75809-could-you-use-a-reading-vacation.html

Keine Kommentare: